Tomorrow is the day that most American’s give thanks for the things in our life that we appreciate and are thankful for. Aside from health, family, friends, etc…. I decided to put together a list of the things in my fly fishing life that I am most thankful for. These are in no particular order and if I missed you on this list, it doesn’t mean I’m not thankful! It just means I am absent minded.
- Fishing Buddies – Without our fishing buddies we would have no one to complain, gloat, celebrate, contemplate, commiserate, scheme, etc… with. I love some solitude on the water at times but without you all… it would be lonely.
- Conservation and Stewardship – Formal like TU, Orvis, Patagonia, or informal like the person that packs out someone else’s trash from the river… Thank you.
- Bloggers – Thanks to all of you that write, photograph, and video with little to no pay. Without you we would be stuck reading the same 3 articles a month in the same tired old fishing rags.
- Innovative Tyers – You shatter convention and challenge us to think outside the box of what is possible. Whether you are loving your psycho prince or palmering your first game changer…. keep the new ideas flowing!
- Industry Competition – Competition has brought us product innovations, selection, and better gear at lower prices than we have ever had before. Fast graphite, slow glass, skagit lines, disc drags, better waders, lighter boots, etc….
- Thinking Outside the Trout! – 20 years ago could we have ever imagined a day where so many fly fishers were chasing everything from sail fish to carp? And who knew that carp would be the new cool? Not to mention all of the specialized gear developed for each!
- New School Gear – From sling packs to buffs we have altered the look and function of how we perform on the water.
- Old School Gear – From hand sewn in the United States to waxed cotton and leather gotta love a bit of tradition
- Independently Owned Fly Shops – Sorry big box retailers… not for me. When I need advice, help, expertise, etc.. My local shop is my go to. Support your local shop or you won’t have a local shop to support! No local shop near you? No problem, buy from a local shop online and become a great long distance customer.
- Fly Fishing Guides – Thanks to all of you that row, pole, and hike is into position for that perfect shot at that perfect fish. God knows you aren’t in it for the money so thanks for making it all possible.
I’m sure there is much more but this is what was on the top of my mind. From our family at International Angler to yours we want to wish you a happy and healthy holiday season. We all have much to be thankful for. Don’t forget to stop by the shop, give us a call, or hit us up online to take advantage of some great holiday deals.
Tight Lines and Loose Pants,